A treadmill is a great way to get your running in regardless of the weather outside. Before you hop on your treadmill and get running, here are five tips to help you get the most out of your running experience.
1. Wear good running shoes to avoid knee pain. Many people assume that because you are running inside on a platform that the quality of your shoes is not as important. You may be tempted to throw on any pair of shoes and run on the treadmill. This is not a good idea and it is how you will develop an injury. Treadmill running surfaces are hard and they don’t give as other surfaces do.
2. When you run inside, your running form is going to be more restricted, as opposed to running outside. This is why you want to have a good pair of running shoes. Find out what your foot type is and purchase shoes accordingly. Your treadmill performance will be more pleasant and you won’t come out injured.
3. Try to place your treadmill in a good location. It can be boring running on a treadmill which is stuck in the basement or out in the garage. See if you can strategically place your treadmill where you can see outside or even watch TV. Natural light will help you focus more on your running as well. The light will make you feel more alert and motivated to run for longer. Watching your favorite show or listening to music while running is a great way to pass the time. Studies have shown that people work out harder and for longer time periods when listening to music.
4. Increase the incline on your treadmill. When you run on a flat treadmill, if can feel as though you are running downhill. This can be very hard on your muscles and joints. By increasing the incline to level two, it simulates a more natural running position. This is much better for you body and provides you with the energy to run longer and harder.
5. Run with your arms free. Many runners find themselves leaning forward to grab the bars when running. Unfortunately what this does is reduce your workout efforts and makes you run using bad form. This can cause injury and bad habits when you go out onto the road. Always stand upright and tilt your body forwards at a slight angle. Make sure you keep your arms bent at the elbows and have your hands relaxed.
Running on a treadmill has very specific and powerful benefits. Follow these five tips and your treadmill running experience is sure to be everything you want it to be. You’ll lose weight, get in shape and enjoy the convenience of treadmill running anytime of the year.